by Trustee Jack Swedyk
The board of trustees has received numerous questions regarding the Drug Mart annexation petition over the past month. Trustee Jack Swedyk created the following timeline to help answer any questions:
- In May of 2022, Drug Mart submitted a request to receive a 50% tax abatement available through the CRA zone in the area that includes their subject property at on the southwest corner of state Route 303 and W. 130th Street.
- On May 24, 2022, Medina County Economic Development Corporation Executive Director Bethany Dentler provided the board with the details of the request and the CRA information
- On June 7, 2022, Dentler again attended a meeting of the board to answer any questions relative to the request before the board voted on the matter. After discussion, the board voted 2-1 against granting the request.
- On July 12, 2022, Dentler attended another board meeting at the request of the board to discuss the options available regarding restructuring the CRA parameters.
- On Sept. 6, 2022, Trustee Monique Ascherl presented the board an option for restructuring the CRA.
- On Sept. 20, 2022, the board voted 2-1 to keep the CRA as is.
- On Oct. 4, 2022, Ascherl informed the board that Dentler had been notified of the board’s decision regarding the CRA.
- On Oct. 18, 2022, Ascherl informed the board that Dentler had advised that she had not yet heard anything back from Drug Mart, and would not likely hear anything until late winter or early spring.
- On Feb. 7, 2023, the Board received notification that an annexation petition had been filed with Medina County for the subject property.
Medina County Commissioners will host a public hearing on this matter on April 11, at 10:30 a.m. The township has hired outside legal counsel for representation on this matter. ∞