by Dan Holland
The Bloodview Haunted House, located at 1010 Towpath Rd. in Broadview Heights, marked its 40th year of shrieks and scares when it opened for the season Sept. 10. Proceeds are donated to a variety of area charities and community service projects.
The seasonal attraction, operated by the Broadview Heights Lions Club and the Legion of Terror horror improvisational troupe, has raised more than $2.5 million for charity since opening in 1980. It was closed in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“At the Lions Club, we support the Lend-A-Hand FoodBank, the Cleveland Eye Bank, the Giving Doll Program and many other charities,” explained Bloodview Director Steve Gwiazda, now in his fourth year at the helm.
The Lions Club bought the current three-acre property in 1977, according to Gwiazda. Construction of the 6,000-square-foot main building was completed in 1979. The attraction draws between 10,000-15,000 visitors annually.
The operation requires approximately 15 workers and may involve 50-100 actors on any given night. The Legion of Terror does not use any masks; all actors don full makeup and are unpaid volunteers.
A tour of the house of horror takes about 35 minutes. A $20 admission fee entitles visitors to pass through the attraction an unlimited number of times in one night. A refreshment stand, food vendors and restroom facilities are available. For information, visit bloodview.org. ∞