Sheridan gets city’s top job

by Judy Stringer

Oct. 4 city council meeting

Hudson City Council appointed Interim City Manager Thomas Sheridan as the city’s chief administrator.

Council voted 6-0 to appoint Sheridan city manager. Council member Karen Heater was absent from the meeting.

Sheridan has been the acting city manager since March when former City Manager Jane Howington resigned amid a possible suspension and/or dismissal.

President Chris Foster called Sheridan’s appointment “long in the making.” He said council conducted a nationwide search to fill Howington’s seat, and after interviewing selected candidates, “everybody across the board felt that we have the best person for the job right here already.”

In a press release issued by the city on Oct. 5, Sheridan said he is “truly honored” to be selected.

“As a longtime employee of the city, I understand the historic characteristics of the city, and I will strive to protect the charm that makes Hudson an excellent community in which to live, work and visit,” he said.

Sheridan was assistant city manager before he assumed the interim city manager position. Prior to that, the Stow resident was Hudson’s city engineer.

The city’s release stated that Sheridan will continue with his previous responsibilities as assistant city manager and that position will be eliminated. It also said that Sheridan plans to relocate to Hudson.

No other terms of the agreement were provided immediately. ScripType has requested a copy of the contract.

In other meeting news, council approved two purchases related to EMS vehicles. The city will pay Excellence Inc., the original manufacturer, $237,000 for “remounting” an ambulance by giving the vehicle a new 2023 chassis and other updates. The department will also replace a 1999 Freightliner/Horton Ambulance, which has 130,000 miles, with a new 2023 Ford, Life Line Type 1 Custom Superliner ambulance at a cost not to exceed $300,000.

Council also authorized the city manager to apply for a Community Development Block Grant from the county to help pay for a $22,000 shelter at city hall. The shelter will have a bench and will be placed near the parking lot “to assist seniors and residents” visiting city hall, according to the resolution. The grant would provide up to 75% of the project cost. Hudson would pick up the remaining 25%.  ∞

Photo: Thom Sheridan. Photo submitted.